Monday, February 1, 2010

Bold Honesty

I have read all manner of books on leadership styles, and have several more in my book case I haven't started... yet, with all of these "pearls" captured in so many works, why am I focusing on Mr King?

Not too long ago, a young adult relayed the following observation regarding the community:
"This community needs a Martin Luther King, but not in the same way the people did back then. Our biggest problem isn't coming from people who don't believe the same way we do... it's coming from the person sitting next to you in the meetings. Our greatest opposition comes from people inside our own community. Until that changes, it's going to be the same shit it's always been... and we [the next generation] will have to clean up after all you guys before we can actually build something."

There it is... the bold honesty of this community's youth.

I can't be a Martin Luther King... because I'm not Martin Luther King... and wouldn't presume to even try to be Martin Luther King.

I am not such a great leader as Martin Luther King Jr.
But I am a leader who admires his dedication and technique.
His work was not about him... but the Mission, the Cause.
As I realized that, I admired him all the more.

There were those who looked to Martin Luther King Jr and challenged him,
"Who are You to speak for me? You don't speak for All of Us!"

There were those whose lives became Very uncomfortable due to his actions, who became angry at the added discomfort, and challenged,
"Why are you doing this? We didn't ask you to do this for us!"

Martin Luther King Jr didn't heed these oppositions from those who ultimately benefited from his work... and neither will I.

No comments:

Post a Comment