Monday, March 29, 2010

Amazing synchronicity

This weekend was full of amazing moments.

I had scheduled a ceremony for a day that I thought would work well. I had figured that Gavin would have home already for at least a week, Cassi would have been settled in, etc. I didn't happen that way... I didn't have the energy resource to spend on trying to research an appropriate ceremony, etc... then I realized I really
didn't care, and neither did it matter.

I played a game with the kids, then talked about how "being accountable" is seen far too often in a negative light, and how I feel that accepting accountability for things we do that are Good is just as important.
To me, accepting accountability for growth and positives doesn't happen as often as it should. Often times we can accept recognition when other people tell us we've accomplished things... when they give us belts, cords, medals, certificates, diplomas, etc... but how often do we recognize accomplishment without someone else telling us we can claim it? Well, I claimed it for myself... and then thanked everyone for being there to help me with my accomplishments.

Then... this morning... an old friend called out of the blue... to tell me how his life is going... how wonderful his life has turned out... and he called to tell me that he appreciates me. He called to tell me that I accomplished something I had no idea I even did. He feels that I saved his life. After his first wife passed, he went off the deep end. He says I saved his life... by doing nothing more than just by being me. The talks we had were great and opened doors for him... but what gets him through the hard times he's experiencing now are the memories of being accepted, welcomed, and loved when so very many others had given up on him. His current wife needs a liver transplant... he has three children now, one that needs constant focused attention, and another that has to be fed through a tube... and yet, he's spiritually and emotionally ok. And he chose this morning to call to thank me for giving him a model to emulate.

I am so incredibly blessed and grateful. To know that I had an impact like that on one life, that extends to the many lives around him, his family, his friends, and the soldiers he's in charge of... I am so grateful that I was given such an amazing opportunity...

If I had one wish I could grant this moment, it would be that everyone could feel what I experienced this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment